Substantial is a Seattle-based digital product studio. We build experiences to empower and connect people through the web, mobile, and connected devices. Our work ranges from mobile apps to large, embedded multi-touch installations for Fortune 500s, startups, social impact organizations, and local to global brands. No matter what we’re focused on, the products we build go beyond just development and design – we’re here to solve problems, create responsibly, and build relationships.
What You’ll Do:
As an Engagement Manager (EM) you are both a team leader and contributor. You will collaboratively drive strategy and delivery of a product that meets client expectations and user objectives. You will own and be accountable for the entire project lifecycle from contracting through delivery, including maintenance and/or the transition to a client-side team.
EMs wear a variety of hats depending on the needs of our clients and products. Our core philosophy is delivering software as Lean/Agile as we can - prioritizing, eliminating waste and continuous improvement are integral to this role. That said, you should approach our process with clarity in what the outcomes are but flexibility in how we achieve those - and always an openness to collaborate.
As an advocate for the Substantial approach to design and development, you will ensure clients are read into our process and feel a part of our product teams. You are an enthusiastic evangelist for the products we build and the problems we solve and you embody and model the Substantial values.
Your work will focus on four key areas:
PRODUCT MANAGEMENT: Product strategy is a collaborative effort with our clients and discipline leads. Tracking our activities towards the expected outcomes is owned by the EM.
- Balancing short-term product objectives with long-term product vision
- Maintaining the backlog and regular prioritization
- Assurance of quality user stories and product acceptance when appropriate
- Outline the key milestones and release dates
- Responsible trade-offs in our client’s and user’s interest
- Evangelist for what makes the product/experience/technology interesting
- Unblocking critical paths of work
ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT: The EM is the primary point of contact with clients. While open communication with the team is encouraged, it is ultimately the EM who ensures we have a transparent and healthy relationship with our clients.
- Establishing communication cadence and healthy boundaries
- Keeping focus on business and user objectives
- Managing expectations and scope creep
- Providing context and insight into our process
- Encouraging client participation as a valued team member
- Creating a common language and translating when needed
TEAM LEADERSHIP: EMs are project leads and work closely with Design and Development leads to provide opportunities for continuous improvement and growth, as well as flagging resourcing or personnel issues.
- Build accountability into the team activities
- Provide direction for breaking down work into smaller chunks
- Facilitate team collaboration and alignment on the product experience
- Encourage responsible risk taking and enable distributed leadership opportunities
- Administrative oversight of timecards and resourcing changes, including vacation and outages
REVENUE & OPPORTUNITY DEVELOPMENT: EM’s primary objective is to both deliver a high quality product that exceeds our client’s expectations and build a long-term positive relationship with our clients that results in positive referrals, case studies and opportunities.
- Ensuring an efficient use of the client’s budget
- Ensuring the team is properly utilized
- Managing to budget constraints and forecasting projected revenue
- Leading contract renewal conversations and contracts
Who You Are:
You are a software evangelist
You have a passion for digital products and experience delivering customer experiences. You understand what makes a product, experience or technology interesting.
You are a comfortable and graceful facilitator
You’re capable of leading a multidisciplinary team of designers, developers and our clients and clearly communicating and advocating for our recommendations.
You are a collaborative problem solver
You are a steward for team building and positive morale and a responsible risk-taker. You ensure we are representing a clear point of view to our clients.
You are a partner to our clients
You understand the challenges and pivots common to product development and can both manage expectation and build confidence in our process.
You are a strategic thinker
You can balance long term vision with short term objectives, recognizing opportunities to increase our value to the client and planning at the account level to generate new opportunities.
You are an empathetic listener
You are intuitive and proactive in identifying risks and mitigation strategies and are an open ear to the team and our clients to discuss their needs.
You have laser focus
You can weed through distractions and scope creep to keep the team focused on the challenges that need the most attention and the work that will bring the users and our clients the most value.
You have the experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in a client services or agency environment
- Proven experience either client-side or consulting in product development, project management or account development
- Proven experience leading teams
- Experience or familiarity delivering products or experiences across multiple technology platforms (eg. browsers, applications, operating systems, mobile and connected devices, other hardware)
- Proficiency with common workflow tools (eg. Trello, Pivotal Tracker, Kanban)
- Understanding of development practices and experience directly collaborating with development teams
- Strong communication, client services, and interpersonal skills
- Fierce passion for collaboration and growing with others
How to apply:
- A brief hello describing who you are, why you’re interested in this opening, and how it aligns with your career goals
- Your resume (PDF or Markdown/text preferred)
- Links to some of your work (if possible) - portfolio, Github, Dribbble, etc.
- (Optional) An example of something that inspires you
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.